Monday 17 March 2008

The congratulatory messages have been overwhelming

I am delighted and excited that the people of the region have trusted me with the Mayoral position for the next 4 years. I take my responsibilities very seriously and will move to address the key challenges that the region will face.

I should be in bed trying to catch up on some sleep after the marvellous - and unexpected for some - poll result but have been working my way through a couple of hundred emails.

My victory over Kevin Byrne seems to have touched people and they have been motivated to let me know how they feel. I am honoured that so many people see this as the dawn of a new era in local government after 8 years of the Byrne Unity approach.

People have clearly rejected that style of leadership and have commented that they embrace my approach of openness, honesty and transparency mixed with friendliness and respect for all people and diverse views.

I copped a couple of sharp text messages and emails about agreeing to appear on John McKenzie's radio program this coming Wednesday. I find that quite odd; there is no reason why John's listeners don't have a right to be able to present their issues and receive answers from me.

I have also agreed to do a regular spot on Port Douglas radio and on Sea FM from time to time. I will also be starting Val's Fortnightly Email, shamelessly modelled on the one that Clover Moore has been producing for the last 4 years in Sydney.

It's all about being open and accessible and finding a variety of ways to listen to, advise, connect and inform the constituents of this big region. I am very much looking forward to the declaration of the poll and the opportunity to lead the new amalgamated council.

No comments: