Thursday 20 March 2008

Off for three days break

I am heading off for a three-day break - my first in 11 weeks - after the excitement of the last few days.

I had not anticipated how much of a slice of me the various media outlets would want and the phone has been running hot. I am proud to be a role model for women, particularly young women, so have been open to all media.

I've had phone calls from as far away as Rajasthan, Vienna and Singapore and numerous email, phone and text messages including one from a young friend who is leading a walking tour on the Overland track in Tasmania. News has travelled fast. Forgive me if I have not answered yet.

I have also met with Acting Cairns Regional Council CEO, Noel Briggs, around drafting the agenda for the swearing-in statutory meeting that will occur on Thursday 3 April after the declaration of the poll. More details later for those who want to come along to this historic event.

One of the things I have asked for is that we commence the meeting with a welcome from the traditional owners of the land. This will send a clear message that we acknowledge and respect the indigenous peoples in this region.

No comments: