Sunday 9 March 2008

What a week it's been


I had intended to post messages every couple of days but it's been so full-on with campaigning that I've just discovered it's been a week since I last wrote about helping out with Clean Up Australia activities.

We were at Mossman and Port Douglas on Tuesday when Port got 446mls of rain in 24 hours; the worst rain since 1904. I've lived in the tropics for decades and it was the heaviest rain I've ever experienced.

Back at Machans I got stranded on Wednesday, had to get out by boat to continue campaigning and had to stay with friends until I could get back home on Thursday evening.

Meanwhile, we are getting lots of positive feedback from the pre-polling booth at the Cairns Showgrounds where voters have been giving the Cairns 1st candidates and me a thumbs up when they come out of the booth.

The rain has revealed some of the poor planning decisions of the Kevin Byrne Council. Check out our Infrastructure and Planning Policy (http://www.cairns1st.org.au/planningandinfrastructure.html) We will put into place community-based planning, not only to respond to floods but for the casualties that may occur and the evacuations that will be necessary with increased cyclonic activities and tidal and storm surges.

No comments: